Hardup Trike Build

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Hardup Trike Build

Post by Kawazuki »

The lawyer in me would take Plod to task for quoting RV - C&U Regs! That applies to manufactured vehicles subject to type approvals and constructed to agreed prototypes. The MSVA test replaces that requirement so if its passed that you can happily thumb yer nose at plod, tell him to jog on and go catch some people not wearing face masks!
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

:hoofle: :hoofle: :hoofle: :hoofle: :hoofle: Like it !
fenty

Post by fenty »

Sorry I've been away from this for so long, another project was dropped on me that took a lot of my time away.
This is a 1915 BSA Model K that was my first introduction to motorcycles, and my father asked me to restore it for him as he's into his 80's now so it was a bit much for him to take on...

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

It turned out beautiful and the old man was so made up with it. It was his uncle's bike before him and it meant the world to him to have it looking pristine again. (sorry for the non-bandit content  :P :P )

So anyway, I have managed to get the trike a bit further along too...

Engine in...

Battery and electrics boxes..

Hand shifter...

Oil cooler mounted...

Handbrake mounted...

Mudguards and rear lights mounted ..

ImageImageImageImage

A few spindles and bits and pieces to get made and the wiring sorted before I strip her down for final welding, powder coating and paint.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Love the resto, and the trike is coming along nicely.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

:thumbsup: trike looking good lovley bsa
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

That bsa is looking great. And great work on the trike
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

Kawazuki wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 pm The lawyer in me would take Plod to task for quoting RV - C&U Regs! That applies to manufactured vehicles subject to type approvals and constructed to agreed prototypes. The MSVA test replaces that requirement so if its passed that you can happily thumb yer nose at plod, tell him to jog on and go catch some people not wearing face masks!
I've only just seen this thread - are you sure about that?
I only wonder because I know in the MSVA inspection manual where it talks about drive belts and chains it says an open primary belt with a side guard can pass MSVA but still contravene C&U regs, so for this case they're saying C&U counts over MSVA.
I don't know if this also applies to mudguards too, I haven't looked it up.
Nice build though, looking forward to seeing it finished.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Really can't see how c&u can be applied to a vehicle that has been assessed to be road legal. Unguarded chains are an issue if a pillion is carried. MOT guys never had issues with my unguarded chain!
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

They're referring to primary drives, not not the belt/chain to the back wheel. No offence meant but if the people who wrote the MSVA say they're happy with just a side guard on a primary drive but C&U might not be then that's it, them's the rules whether we like it or not.
No final drive chainguard isn't a problem for the MOT, you might get an advisory but you won't get a fail, again it's C&U that'll get you if it's deemed dangerous - I don't know who enforces this, the police? DVSA?
This is getting away from the mudguard question though. I've had a look at C&U regs (what an exciting life I have..) and if these do override MSVA and if you're pulled and if they decide to prosecute then they'll get you on the section under 'wings'.
Back to the real world. I see a lot of trikes, bikes and hot rods without mudguards or with ones that don't meet C&U regs but what's the chances of being pulled for it? A picture is worth a thousand words... The boys in blue didn't say anything about the mudguards.
Edit. sorry Fenty, didn't intend on hijacking your build
DSC00633.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Equal apologies for thread diversion but this is fairly important info. The C & U regs are unbelievably mind numbing - mention of Motorcycles is few and far between - definition is, less than 4 wheels and less than 410kg! Interestingly I couldn't find much referring to Lighting ! ! ! but they do mention that a vehicle can't have a urinal or wc fitted LOL! I'd have to say that the MSVA regs are far more extensive and expressive for requirements. It was interesting to note that the regs apply to vehicles after their first registration - which is dependant on passing the MSVA test. I'd say it'd be a brave plod to start quoting C & U clauses when an SP30 or vehicle defect rectification via MOT is a damn sight easier. Anyway, enough of these distractions - back to your regular programme LOL!