Hardup Trike Build

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Re: Hardup Trike Build

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

That's some serious engineering, looks the Ducks Nuts 👍😀
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
fenty

Post by fenty »

old git wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:50 pm is the pipe bender made by clark
Some German make, but it's the same design as this

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/pipe-bende ... ne-8914237

They aren't the tool for the job, but I welded the ends of the tube shut after packing them with sand to stop the tube kinking and flattening out.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

yep thats the same as the clark one that i have i will try filling with sand.
fenty

Post by fenty »

old git wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:35 pm yep thats the same as the clark one that i have i will try filling with sand.
Make sure its bone dry and well packed down and it'll work.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Also I've found sand packed tight inside handle bars good to stop some of the vibrations numming hands
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
fatmanstoy

Post by fatmanstoy »

Hi. Building a trike with short rear fenders similar to yours, will the sva pass these ok. fatmanstoy
fenty

Post by fenty »

fatmanstoy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:27 pm Hi. Building a trike with short rear fenders similar to yours, will the sva pass these ok. fatmanstoy
As I understand it, the SVA doesn't insist on having mudguards, but if present they ionly check that they are secure and have no dangerous edges or protrusions, but I'm open to correction on this. I was considering running it without any, but they're aq handy place to stick some lights.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

fenty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:23 pm
fatmanstoy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:27 pm Hi. Building a trike with short rear fenders similar to yours, will the sva pass these ok. fatmanstoy
As I understand it, the SVA doesn't insist on having mudguards, but if present they ionly check that they are secure and have no dangerous edges or protrusions, but I'm open to correction on this. I was considering running it without any, but they're aq handy place to stick some lights.
I'm pretty sure that they are required, in so far as to protect someone or an object from the rotating wheels.
However, I can find nothing specific in the MSVA.

Also, as I recall, mudguards are not required for an MOT :)
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

1130cc wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:53 am I'm pretty sure that they are required, in so far as to protect someone or an object from the rotating wheels.
However, I can find nothing specific in the MSVA.
Also, as I recall, mudguards are not required for an MOT :)
As you say, there is nothing in the MSVA regulations relating to individual mudguards - full or more extensive bodywork is covered and is quite prescriptive. If anything is fitted at time of MSVA test and subsequently at MOT time, it only has to be securely mounted / fixed - that's it! Anyone behind getting hit by a stone or cracking a windscreen . . . . . . . . . . is too close and it's their own fault LOL!

Saying all that though, the 'rooster tails' that fat unguarded tyres can produce on a moderately wet road should encourage most people to 'cover up' - if only to stay drier themselves :hoofle:
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

Its been a while so don't quote me on it but .... I think you are correct, they are not required by MVSA or MOT but you can get pulled by PC Plod under The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 ... Problem is I cant remember why I think this, age is catching up rapidly :hoofle: