Winter project

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Re: Winter project

Post by Davey the punk »

Nice job looking good 👍
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

How do trikes handle with the suspension fashioned the way it is? What happens overall when one wheel hits a biggish bump or pothole in the road?

At least when that axle was in the reliant the axle could move up and down somewhat independently on each side.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Both our other trikes are fashioned in the same way with a "softail" style swingarm & we've never had a handling problem even hitting the great British pothole. Both very comfy, stable & as they are both quite short wheelbases, steer really nicely.
Take it easy, Bob.
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Andy from Sandy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:16 pm How do trikes handle with the suspension fashioned the way it is? What happens overall when one wheel hits a biggish bump or pothole in the road?

At least when that axle was in the reliant the axle could move up and down somewhat independently on each side.
I saw a guy on a very similar type trike at a Sunday morning bike meet. I mentioned that there are some serious strains on the whole setup when one wheel hits a bump, and he said he'd had no problems. Then I pointed out the cracked welds where his swing arm met the axle on one side.....
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Iv got the same set up.on the pan european trike done 1200 miles last 3 years no.problem
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

12000 miles
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

I've seen some horrendous bodge ups in both motorcycles & trikes & being a retired coded welder/fabricator, it makes me weep. If you can't do it, get someone reputable who can. The extra bracing above & below the joints where the swing arm meets the axle is made & welded in such a way as to really strengthen this area. Also the axle brackets are made as wide as practicable to also strengthen the axle tube. The diff is also suspended & bolted to its own bracketry that mounts to the swingarm which triangulates everything nicely. I check every new weld constantly on both trikes that are on the road & as one of them is my wifes, i feel that constant vigilance is a must. Never had any problems with failed welds & as some Tornado fighters are still flying, my welding must have been alright. Cheers, Bob. P.S. what trike have you got King Herald?
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

King Herald wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:58 am Then I pointed out the cracked welds where his swing arm met the axle on one side.....
How to make friends eh!
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

All I wondered is when hitting a bump as opposed to a pothole that as the wheel compresses the suspension, or not depending on how compliant it is, does the other wheel leave the road? You will know because you will hear a bit of a blip in the engine revs.

As to making friends pointing out dodgy workmanship, well if the owner doesn't take on board the mistakes of the builder it could be catastrophic.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Kawazuki wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:02 pm
King Herald wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:58 am Then I pointed out the cracked welds where his swing arm met the axle on one side.....
How to make friends eh!
So you think I should have let him ride off into the sunset on the obviously dangerous trike?

He was more than happy to have them pointed out, and I'd hope somebody would do the same for me if the roles were reversed.