Winter project

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Winter project

Post by firebob22 »

Hi all, well here we go again! Decided to put myself through the misery of another build just to keep me out of mischief during the long winter months.
Found a donor bike on fleabay & got it delivered last week. It's a 1996 Yamaha XJ900s Diversion, in fair condition with a few bits missing. It's a decent runner & as most of the back end will be removed, haven't got too much to worry about at the back. It had a ridiculous looking bikini nose fairing & crappy dual headlights held on with wire & industrial looking clamps. First thing to do after ditching the above is to renew the fork oil seals as they're peeing oil all over the place. Really cheap bike so i'm not complaining. Gathering parts to start the build & got a great Reliant axle off of Old git (Cheers again mate)
so it won't be too long before the great cutting begins. I'll keep you posted & if anyone's after a rear wheel, bevel box etc., give me a shout & you can have 'em for nowt. To that end, has anyone got a windscreen for one of these? Got an original fairing, headlight & frame on line but missing a few parts. Take it easy all. Bob. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Re: Winter project

Post by Davey the punk »

Enjoy the build looking for word to see pics of the build
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi all, after gathering parts to replace the fork oil seals, on inspection everything inside the forks was buggered. So decided on a complete front end rebuild which included replacing the head bearings as well. Oh what fun was had getting the top race out of the steering neck! Decided to use a Dremel to cut a slot in it & then fashion a dog leg tool/drift to whack it from below which worked, hurrah! All went back together ok after making various odd tools to assist in locating bushes etc.
Painted the bottom legs black & also the wheel which will eventually match the rear ones i've got. New discs & hardware & a new tyre complete the ensemble.
As quite a few parts from the front end were missing, i've sourced the fairing & it's carrier from fleabay & now sorting the wiring back to how it should be. We laughed at the "Stevie Wonder School for Amateur Electricians" when pulling all the insulating tape & twisted wires with no connectors from the loom, but hey-ho, what else would i be doing?
Next up is the bars & instruments/switchgear, can't wait to see what's inside them!
Take it easy all. Bob. :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Keep u busy all winter :thumbsup:
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

I was speaking to a Harley tech about neck races and the tool available for removing them. The guy said if it works on first knock okay else he does the same as you and slot them with a Dremel.
Special tool maybe works, Dremel definitely works!
Doc.
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Winter project

Post by Doc. »

I've been working for a couple of months at a Bike Shop a few miles from me, they deal mostly with Harleys.
They have several types of Bearing Race Pullers.
This type is pretty good for most Ball/Roller Bearings (one-piece types), and not expensive.

For the Outer Races of the 3-part Taper Rollers, you'll need another type of Tool.
They're around £50

Most (Factory) Frames usually have a cut-out (or two) in the Shoulder where the Bearing Race sits, so you can get a Drift onto the Race itself.

Without that, you'll either need to slot the Race (Dremel/Grinder), or Weld a Bolt or lump of Steel Bar/Rod across the Race, and knock on that.
Sometimes, you can just run a bead of Weld round the inside of the Race, and when it cools, it will contract enough to just drop out.

The Inner Race on the Lower Yoke can be tricky, but there are Tools for that too.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Thanks for the replies chaps. The bottom of the steering neck on the frame on the XJ900s has two slots manufactured in the neck to facilitate the removal of the race, not so for the top race, go figure! Everything else came apart with relative ease & after making some suitable sized drifts to put the new taper bearings in, it all went back together with not much swearing. I made a puller to get the new races into the neck from some threaded bar & thick steel plate, worked a treat!
Next on the agenda is the front calipers & lines, then i can start to dismantle the rear end & reconfigure the swingarm to take the modified axle. I'll keep you posted. Bob. :beer:
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi all, quick update on the Divvie. Still fixing all the problems that the bike has & starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Replaced all the coils, HT's , ignition switch & a few broken wires. Stripped the carbs & found them to be full of poo but successfully managed to get them back up & working. Started the old beast up for the first time in god knows how long & it ran like a swiss watch, Japanese engineering for you! Just a few more odds & sods to sort & then finally cut the arse off! I'll keep you posted. Bob.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Always good when you are winning:)
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

as long as you have a welder dont bother with removael tools just weld a bolt across and knock it from the other side