Honda CX500 build

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Re: Honda CX500 build

Post by Davey the punk »

Looking good 👍 what colour is tinker bell 🛎 going to be
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Thanks Davey 😊

So far I’m thinking original 70’s Honda candy sapphire blue with a sprinkling of flake in the lacquer 🤔 and maybe red pinstriping/graphic they used to have on the tank and tie it in on the boxes ?
Overcoming little hurdles everyday :handlebars:
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Should look good had a blue glitter paint scheme on my old trike really sparkled in the sun ☀ looking forward to seeing it :beer: :thumbsup:
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Davey the punk wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:49 pm Should look good had a blue glitter paint scheme on my old trike really sparkled in the sun ☀ looking forward to seeing it :beer: :thumbsup:
The hot rod I built when I lived in the Philippines, red metal flake paint job, did it myself and I actually used kiddies glitter bought for about 50p. I managed to find a tiny bit of real flake, but very expensive, and I noticed it looked exactly like the stuff my daughter had used on some school project. Even under a strong magnifying glass it looked the same.

So I sprayed the car with it, in acrylic clear coat, and it came out great. Even 3 years under blistering tropical sunshine and it still looked good.

F3623192-99C9-4F05-91A8-81802B6845BC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Wow, that red really pops !! Top job and a top tip, thanks for sharing 😊
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

fantastic work whats the travel on the rear suspension ,is there enough clearance for the luggage,i say again great work.
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

old git wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:54 pm fantastic work whats the travel on the rear suspension ,is there enough clearance for the luggage,i say again great work.
Thanks 😊

There is just over 100mm between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of both luggage box racks/crash bars where they would contact on full swingarm travel. The rear shock travel of a standard 1978 CX is 85mm. I’ve bought standard repro CX shocks so the travel of a repro shock might be more, I don’t know is the honest answer. I’ve jumped up and down on the foot pegs and haven’t managed to get the axle to hit the boxes yet, but that might be different 2 up on a typical British road but I won’t know until I ride her 2 up. At worst I would have to source different shocks, at best get away with playing with the spring preload.

I put my back out again and I’ve been off my legs the last week or so and haven’t been able to get in to the workshop, so sorry for the lack of updates. It driving me crazy not being able to tinker with Tinkerbell. I had almost finished fabricating up the rear master cylinder bracket and linkages. I still need to make lower brackets for the front fairing carrier but that’s pretty much all the fabricating done after that. Then it’s strip down time and get everything painted and overhaul the engine and gearbox ! So still lots to do 😂

Anyhoo, will get going again once I can move my legs properly

Steph 😉
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

I only ask as i had more travel than normal due to the increase of wheel base and had to go to hagon to sort it out.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

You might have to up grade to a hagon shock I had to on the pan european when I went 2 up the panniers where hitting the axle hope your back heals soon
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Thanks for the advice boys, will look in to it while I’m laid up 😊