Honda CX500 build

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
SteamGirl

Honda CX500 build

Post by SteamGirl »

Morning gang 😊

After my warm welcomes and friendly advice on the tech page about wheelbase, I’ve decided to start a build thread on my Honda CX500 trike, Tinkerbell. I’m warning you now, I’m no expert and certainly don’t claim to know much. I’ve had bikes all my life but now due to a spinal condition, can’t ride 2 wheels anymore. I’m handy with spanner’s and a mig welder and have a small ish wooden workshop in the back garden with a lathe, milling machine etc etc, but I’m not a professional engineer. I’m a tough old bird and can take a bit of stick, but please be kind as it’s my first trike build.

I recently acquired my trike from my brother Pete, a 1978 CX that’s already registered as a trike with the DVLA. She was obviously registered quite a few years back as there are no weights on the V5, just the word tricycle. She will be tax exempt but I wouldn’t be able to claim MOT exemption as the structure has been significantly altered within the last 30 yrs, or at least will have once I’ve finished (please correct me if I’m wrong)

Anyhoo, Tinks literally had the rear half chassis of a Robin Reliant welded to the CX bike frame, leaf springs and all 🤦‍♀️ there was a huge boot but let water in and the frame was rotting, so it had to go.

I’m building my own swingarm from scratch using the full width Reliant axle. This is because my balance and core strength have been badly compromised and I need a wider set of stabilisers lol. I’ve already got a full set of 1987 Goldwing Inerstate panniers, top box and fairing complete with racks and crash bars which I’m going to fit so I’ve got somewhere to put my handbag, shopping and tools 😂 plus it will look cool !

I’ve thought long and hard about how to post pics. I think rather than using a host site I’m going to use my Google Photos account. I always take loads of pics of my builds and projects and turn them in to albums stored on Google Photos. What I’m going to do is make up a new album for Tinkerbell and share the link to everyone reading my build thread. Once you have the link you will see the latest pics as I add them and if you join the album on Google you will get automatic updates as I add new pics. I understand most of the pics might bore you as there are quite a few reference pics for putting some things back together, but it’s easier than me downloading each pic and posting them separately.

Now that’s out the way, get yourselves a brew, a comfy seat and here’s the story so far :

I’ve removed the rear Robin chassis half and cleaned up the CX frame. The original swingarm pivot points had been preserved on the frame so I decided to utilise them. I knocked out the large bearing carrier on one side and then the threaded bush on the other. I then machined up a pivot bush out of steel bar stock for each side to press in to frame and then welded them up. I also machined up 2 pivot bolts out of silver steel 5/8” bar stock for the bushes that bearings will fit on to. The bearings are pressed in to 2 bearing carriers that I machined out of slices of stole pipe (heavy steel tube)

I then set up the trike at stock seat height in my workshop (need a bigger workshop lol) and played around a bit with wheelbase. In the end I went with what I thought looked the best proportioned with the full width axle and started making up the start of the swingarm out of 50x25x3mm box section. I cut out the holes for the bearing carriers and then welded them in. Then I bolted in the arms and mocked up the axle. I ordered 2 sets of these heavy duty axle brackets I found on the Bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234356121396 ... media=COPY

I’ve now welded one half of each bracket to the swingarms and the other halves will be welded to the axle once I get the bolts tomorrow and get everything squared up.

Next step will be a diff brace and stiffener up and over across the arms and another brace welded underneath the 2 arms as close as possible to the pivoting point. After that I will add braces from the outer edge of the axle support part of each arm back to the side of each arm, in a triangle, to add strength and reduce twist. Hopefully that should keep everything tight and straight 👍

Anyhoo, here’s the all important link to the build album :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eNGEsYdr4VvmjXiJ6

There’s over 100 pics so far, so hopefully enough to keep you entertained. Any advice or criticism gratefully received…………..

Enjoy, Steph 😉
Overcoming little hurdles everyday :handlebars:
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Honda CX500 build

Post by Deep Diver »

Kettles on :tea: :tea:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Good luck will enjoy watching your build :thumbsup:
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

great work,1 wish i had a lath 2 wish i knew enough maths to be able to use one 3 i think you need to triangulate the rear frames to handle the twisting forces i realise you may already have this in hand, again nice work so far :thumbsup:
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Arrrrrrrrftanoon gang 😊

Thanks for your comments boys, very kind ! And yes, I plan to triangulate the swingarm outriggers, just taking care of a few bits and bobs before I get to that bit, plus I really need to test fit the Goldwing panniers and top box first so I can work out how far along the swingarm towards the pivot point I can bring the triangle before it hits the bottom of the panniers on full suspension compression. Just need to wait for my brother to bring them up for me from his home in Essex 🤦‍♀️

Anyhoo, quick update on Tinkerbell for today. I bought a set of stainless nuts and bolts for the axle brackets and got everything squared up and bolted up. Pretty pleased with how everything is so far, made lots of different measurements from different places on the axle and frame and everything is completely equal on both sides 👍 just need to weld the bracket halves to the axle once all the bracing is tacked in on the swingarm. To be fair, the brackets are a really tight fit around the axle and they won’t go anywhere while I’m mocking everything up.

I’ve also made a start on fabricating the prop shaft today.

Don’t forget all new pics are in the build folder just click on this link :

Will post up some more as I go along so keep checking in, on a go slow at the mo mind, got infected bursitis in my left knee which is slowing me down a bit 😖

Enjoy, Steph 😉
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Arrrrrrftanoon gang 😊

Well another busy tinker today in the workshop with Tinkerbell.

I got the prop shaft all mocked up and ready to seam weld up tomorrow. To keep everything straight I machined up a bush out of a nice solid lump of stainless steel bar that is a very tight fit in the remaining part of the Reliant prop and also bored out so that the remaining part of the CX prop was also a very tight fit. Pressed the whole thing together and set it up on the trike ready to seam weld.

Next step is to work out the 2 cross braces I want to fit and then shock brackets.

Looks like I might have to wait for a couple of weeks or so before my brother comes all the way up here with the Goldwing panniers, rack and top box which means I won’t know where I can weld in the triangular sections from the swingarm outriggers just yet.

Anyhoo here’s the all important link to the photo album

Enjoy, Steph 😉
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Nice job looking good 👍
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Thanks 😊
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Evening gang 😊

Well I got a wiggle on with Tinkerbell today in the workshop ! Got the parts for the cross-braces cut out and seam welded in to the swingarm. The new shocks turned up today too, so I got the shock mounts cut out and welded on too. FINALLY, Tinks is back on her own wheels, woohoo 🥳

I now need to machine up some proper shock mounting bolts and then drop the ride height a bit, 10mm over stock seat height and damn the new shocks are stiff 😖 might loose that small preload spring and see how she sits. Mind you, there’s no tyre on the front so need to account for that lol 😂 still need to clean up the odd bits of splatter here and there, it was right windy up here today and kept blowing the Argon off the weld pool 😵

Anyhoo, here’s that all important link to the photo album

Steph 😉
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Looking really good 😁