Honda CX500 build

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Honda CX500 build

Post by Deep Diver »

One issue, the rear brake master cylinder should be mounted on the frame, not the swinging arm.
As the swinging arm moves up and down it'll try to apply the brake
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

:bang:

Damn it, you’re right Barry, thanks. Every time the suspension compresses it takes off the back brake and when it unloads it applies the rear brake :hissyfit: I don’t understand it really as the standard rear brake on a CX works off a pushrod to the rear backplate and the backplate torque arm is anchored to the swingarm not the frame so the backplate moves in the same axis curve as the swingarm 😕

Back to the drawing board then !! Problem is there is no room to mount this master cylinder to the frame and I can’t think of a rear bike master cylinder with a big enough bore to work the rear wheel cylinders !!

Steph
Overcoming little hurdles everyday :handlebars:
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Morning gang :cuddle:

Well after the rear master cylinder f**k up I thought I needed a pick me up. It’s occurred to me I’ve never actually heard Tinkerbell’s engine running. I was promised she had a strong motor, but I thought I should maybe check before I carry on 🤣

I just loosely refitted the loom and coils, battery etc, used a remote fuel tank and see what happens. I’ve got various Harley Davidson cans and slip ons in the loft so I thought I would see what a pair of slash cuts sounded like. Oh my days, what a gorgeous tone, maybe a touch loud, but I couldn’t stop smiling, love it !!!! Her motor is very strong and purrs and pops perfectly, well happy and very relieved lol. Before anyone has a go for not using a balance pipe on the exhaust I’m well aware it affects the low end torque, I’m not a speed demon I’m all about that uneven slow tick over and Vee twin bark 😊 I’ve made a quick vid for everyone but at one point it gets so loud the microphone on my phone cuts the input level, but you get the idea, use good quality headphones or speakers and turn it up :thumbsup:

On the rear master cylinder side, I’ve researched that on 2004 onward HD XL sportster’s they use 3/4” bore master cylinders which is about the same as a reliant master cylinder and also has a similar travel, so I bagged a used one with remote reservoir off the Bay for £35, watch this space for updates.

Anyhoo, here’s the link to the vid, let me know what you think

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rgRpEEBjF3ndmbQ68

Take care, Steph 😊
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

OMG! The first thing I would check is that the lump runs :)

That sound even ,makes me smile.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Sounding good 👍
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Lovely sound Steph and no smoke from the exhausts. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Sounds lovely, bet your itching to give it a run out
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Arrrftanoon gang, hope you’re all safe and well, this storm is starting to get nasty up in Cumbria :hide:

Thanks for everyone’s kind comments, it’s really kicked my arse back in to gear lol. Spent the last 2 days finishing the fabrication of both pipes and slip ons on Tinkerbell. I had to extend both down pipes by 6” to clear the foot controls which has brought the volume down a tad, but she still makes me smile :thumbsup:

I’ve made another video for everyone, please let me know what you think.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LVHR8yEGo9dhyZRb9

Just need to clean up the pipes now for finishing.

Take care, Steph 😊
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

:thumbsup: u doing a grand job
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
SteamGirl

Post by SteamGirl »

Davey the punk wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:38 pm :thumbsup: u doing a grand job