1987 1100 virago to trike project

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Viragoguy

1987 1100 virago to trike project

Post by Viragoguy »

I have a question for some of you experienced guys..this is my first trike.
I picked up a 1986 chevette rear end from the wreckers.
The rotation for the virago is counter clockwise for forward.
The chevette rear end is the opposite so I have to flip it upsidedown.
This puts the auto brake adjuster to the top where it would normally be to the bottom.
It is also intended to adjust when braking in reverse.
It will be running in reverse constanly and braking will be often.
The question is will this cause exccesive braking adjustment to a point of locking up the brakes..or would it actually be working backwards...reducing the brake adjustment.
Any insite and input to these issuses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dr Death

Post by Dr Death »

I can't help you on that one cos I'm a technical numpty.......however I can say.....welcome,welcome,welcome.....and one of the clever guys on here will no doubt give you an answer.......

Just a thought.how does the auto adjuster....adjust like.........or is that what you're asking
There are things out there that scare even me
Viragoguy

Post by Viragoguy »

Dr Death wrote:I can't help you on that one cos I'm a technical numpty.......however I can say.....welcome,welcome,welcome.....and one of the clever guys on here will no doubt give you an answer.......

Just a thought.how does the auto adjuster....adjust like.........or is that what you're asking
Thanks for responding to my querry.
Specifically the adjuster is intended to adjust when braking in reverse.
Since I had to flip the dif. to get the propper rotaion it put the drums pretty much going in reverse all the time with often braking instead of occasionally.
It also mved the adjuter to the top rather than at the bottom where it would normally be.
I can't rotate it to the bottom because the bolt configuration for the back plate is not in a sqaure or rectangular pattern thereby not allowing shift possition.
The question was will this cause the brakes to be adjusted constantly possibly to a point of locking the brakes...or the other thought was that instead of adjusting to tighten the shoes will it operate in reverse action and actually loosen the brakes??
Thanks for any thoughts on this..another mind never hurts..sometimes a guy gets stuck in one thought process and anothers input can jog a guy outof it.
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

all sorts of guys have this problem. I dont know i the rear brake layout is the same as for example the reliant which often gets flipped over but it apparently doesnt effect the braking on them
Viragoguy

Post by Viragoguy »

Mayhem wrote:all sorts of guys have this problem. I dont know i the rear brake layout is the same as for example the reliant which often gets flipped over but it apparently doesnt effect the braking on them
Thanks for the connection to that link.
I think it answers my question.
Trikeman
Part of the Furniture

Post by Trikeman »

swap brake plates around:alkies:
ENGLAND EXPECTS EVERY MAN TO DO HIS DUTY ..........
Viragoguy

Post by Viragoguy »

Trikeman wrote:swap brake plates around:alkies:
Thanks for your input
Nice to see that people are trying to help me with my dilemma.
That would work if the bolt pattern on the backing plate were rectagular or square to allow this..however the bolt pattern is not the bottom holes are closer together than the top bolt and changing them over would only allow for them to be in the same location as they are now with the exception that the em cable outlet would be towards the back instead of the front of the dif.
Thanks for your suggestion..appreciated.
Dr Death

Post by Dr Death »

No.............I think Marc is saying swap the left plate to the right and viccie verccie.........:niceone:
There are things out there that scare even me
Viragoguy

Post by Viragoguy »

Dr Death wrote:No.............I think Marc is saying swap the left plate to the right and viccie verccie.........:niceone:
Yah I think that's exactly what he's saying.
I won't work however because unlike other rear ends that are reversable and can be fliped..I can flip mine as well but it will make no difference because of the bolt cinfiguration won't allow alternate positioning of the plate or brake guts would be in the same place either side just relocates the entrance for the EM brake cable.
see attachment below will give you an idea of what I'm up against..the bolt pattern will not allow mounting in a different position one side to the other.
[ATTACH]5042[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DEANO

Mmmmmm

Post by DEANO »

Have you looked to see if you can keep axle right way up and just turn sun, moon, pin gear,( the diff) round the other way in the diff housing.
Or make a disc brake set up, as people do for robin axles.There is a link somewhere on this forum for making disc brake for robins, you'll have to tweek it for yours.
Happy dayz.

DEANO:caveman: