Ntv650 trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

Hmm, well scratch that. Just took it for its first shakedown run.. Shakedown is the optimum word. Turns out the whole of the bike frame is everso slightly bent. Must have been in a fairly resonable whack, but its been well concealed. I now suspect thats why it was painted black..

Hey ho, at leased we've already got another NTV and its a bolt on convertion. It'll just take a bit to move over everything, then just a spot of welding and electrics.. Oh the other engine needs its coolant system sorting out. But between four engines, three NTV frames and bits from numorus bikes, a trike will be produced! Despite it only having the wheels left of the one I got originaly...

Chalk one up for thouroughly checking whatever you buy used.
grumpygramps-2007
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by grumpygramps-2007 »

be worth it in the end.
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

i like ur positive attutude but as grumpygramps says b worth it in the end a week working on it for just 1hours riding brings a big grin to ur face the many times iv been in the mancave working on mine and taught is it worth it all the aggravation and thinking is it worth all this hassel iv felt like getting a sledgehammer to it and finishing it for good then when ur out riding it all the mancave hours are forgot that triker grin takes over till something go wrong again and then its o sh!t here we go again BUT just remember that very first triker grin it works wonders :respek: to u for ur patience with it

THE LEP
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

Right, its booked in for its MOT. Here is a quick run down of the build so far.

This is the current donor bike.

[ATTACH]12452[/ATTACH]

Nice bike really only 40 odd thousand on the clock, not to bad for an ntv. Engine starts and runs lovely, needed a coolant leek sorting and the radiator fan fixing but other than that pretty much capable of getting through its MOT.

Put a cross bar across the back to take the duel shocks, secured it with a through bar going through two small welded tubes and U bolts to the upper frame.

[ATTACH]12453[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12454[/ATTACH]

The the sub-frame attaches to the axle (U bolts and stabilizing bracket), which in turn takes the shockers up to the rear bar.

[ATTACH]12449[/ATTACH]

You can also see the exhausts, which we've taken to twin pipes and put under the axle.

The handbrake got put on the left foot-peg mount, which needed some spacers to stop the sub-frame from catching.

[ATTACH]12450[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12451[/ATTACH]

All in all its not worked out bad, there's a little bit of head-shake but nothing uncontrollable. Will look into sorting that out fully once its on the road, then we can figure out exactly how bad it is at speed.

I'll get some piccys up of it with all the mud guards and lights on later next week. Attached the mud guards by laying fiberglass over the metal mounts on the underside (thanks for the tip willgo), then just using small lock-nuts to secure them to the bars leading to the axle. So now it just need a shiny new numberplate for next week, hopefully it will fly through and I'll be riding by next weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Djf57

Re: Ntv650 trike

Post by Djf57 »

Hi Addilm, I am hoping to convert my Deauville 650. Great photos. Did the project come with the rear frame? Do you have a plan for it or measurements. I am a complete newbie. So any help gratefully accepted.

Regards

DJF57
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

Hello Dj,

No the frame was made with a bit of eyeball mathematics I'm afraid, I'll have a look and see if I can dig out the old break down I sent into the DVLA when I registered it. The design seemed to be a reliable one though as it was used as an everyday vehicle till the trike was sold a few years ago. The only things I had to do was fiddle with the trail measurement a little and beef up the mud guard mounts. I think I used a GT750 swing arm for the basis of the under frame as the NTV had an aluminium swing arm and the GT one was steel.
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

Here are a few pics I still have kicking about of the various bits I bolted on outlined. Not sure if they are much use but you're welcome to them.

Figure 5
1. U bolt (both sides) securing rear bar
2. Through bar with nylon locking nuts (both sides), bolted through attachment rings on frame. Secures rear bar
3. Rear shocks, bolted to axel and rear bar
4. U bolts (4) securing axel to subframe
5. Custom bracket, connects axel and subframe so as to prevent rotation
6. Standard swing arm attachment, allowing frame to shift while staying fully attached
Figure 6
1. Handbrake lever, bolted to footpeg mount
2. Cable bracket, feeds handbrake to lever
3. Bracket (both sides) supporting exhaust, connects to footpeg mount
Spacers have been fitted to footpeg brackets, allowing break cable and lines (Right and left) to be fitted without risk of tearing. (See Figure 7)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.