Ntv650 trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Addilm

Ntv650 trike

Post by Addilm »

Hey up all,

After lurking for a while I picked up a quick project trike a few months back, a Honda NTV650.

[ATTACH]8823[/ATTACH]

Engine starting but some slight issues with the line of the backend, propshaft knuckle was knocking on rotation. We figured the welds had pulled the frame slightly out of line, planning on grinding it down a little and taking it back into shape.

The odd extra issue like a split brake line, handbrake cable ran over an edge and small odds and sods like that. Nothing severe looking, and for 1k with hazards and wireing, running bike and a spare engine figured not a bad deal.

Found plenty of fun upon taking it apart however, not sure if its very evident in the picture but the whole thing is about an inch and a half out.

[ATTACH]8824[/ATTACH]

Axel is full of holes.

[ATTACH]8825[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8826[/ATTACH]

And some of the metalwork leaves some room for improvement...

[ATTACH]8827[/ATTACH]

Long story short, with the ammount of work needed to get the frame into shape, figured I may as well do the sensible thing. Scrap all of the backend but the wheels and handbrake, convert to a softtail.

Got a basic swing arm convertion being made (I'm lazy), going to weld some shocker brackets to the frame and make it a duel shock backend.

Keep you posted as it moves along.

Cheers,

Addilm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daddy moose

Post by daddy moose »

looking forward to how it turns out ,will be following this one closely ,remember we like piccies ,at every stage ect :respek:
Willgofar
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Willgofar »

Hi Addilm, welcome to the forum (have i said hello before, not sure) anyway. you have a wee bit of work ahead of you. as DM said, keep us updated with pics. as you will probaly know, we're a nosey bunch here. :respek:
Help Me i'm being held hostage. bring reinforcements.
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

Right the NTV project is a go again, after having a god awfull time getting parts got enough sorted to finish the rest off ourselves.

got a subframe made though the shocker attachment bits are leaning out not in so they'll need grinding off and re doing.

[ATTACH]11521[/ATTACH]

Axle going on with four u bolts. The axle will be prevented from nosing and stabilized, using a bracket coming up from the sub frame and attaching to the ring of bolts that secure the two halves of the axel together. (not pictured)
[ATTACH]11522[/ATTACH]

Just fitted it together to line it all up
[ATTACH]11525[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]11523[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]11524[/ATTACH]

Going to get a bar and attach it across the back of the main frame, then take the shockers up to it from the axel. They will angle in but not back.

Just need some brackets from the shockers and the handbrake, lights and mudguards.

Any suggestions or anything we've missed would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin.

EDIT: Oh got to get some new pipes and take the two exhaust back into one, the big twin pipes that were on the hard tail will be a bit hard to attach now its a soft tail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willgofar
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Willgofar »

Hi Addilm. welcome back. be careful fitting your exhausts as they can catch on the swingarm when you put a load on it. its something that catches a few peeps out.
Help Me i'm being held hostage. bring reinforcements.
Greylag
Part of the Furniture

Post by Greylag »

Welcome Addilm,

Will be worth the work. I had an NTV650 trike myself but it was a hard tail, if it had been a soft tail I would have probably still had. Arthritis and a damaged spine on the crap roads round here didn't bide well with hard tails so it had to go. Looking good anyway the work you've done. The mudguards you can bracket off the axle tubes as they're going to move with the trike/wheels. Handbrake via a cable from the swinging arm would probably work.

Regards
Dave
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

Just a quick update get some piccies up in a week or so when we start on it again.

The bars done and all the extra welding has been done on the subframe, picked up a spare 650 revere and a ntv600 to use for parts. Needed exhaust pipes and handlebars, a brake cable and the like. So we figured it'd be easier just to buy a spares repair bike and do some scavenging. Turns out we managed to get two bikes though, one of which is together and running it just has a coolant leek.

Only thing is now I'm kind of tempted to use the new revere as the front end, and scavenge the needed parts off my old front end.. Despite being older the engine has maybe 30,000 less miles on it than the NTV, and as far as I know takes the same swingarm. Plus the NTV600 has a really cool monoshock on it.. Getting dangerously close to ending up with just the back wheels left from the original build...

Going to have a good look at in in a few weeks and figure out which way round is the better route to take.
Trikeman
Part of the Furniture

Post by Trikeman »

Look at trike Honda x11 on you tube that's one with mono shock I've built
ENGLAND EXPECTS EVERY MAN TO DO HIS DUTY ..........
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

That looks lovely trikeman, I figure we might take a shot at doing a mono. The shocker from the 600 is pretty tough, and I do like the looks of the central design on your x11. The old way we were doing it would have a wide bar above the axle, which would give it a much meatier look I think. Depending of course on further investigation of the bikes, that might well be the way forward.
Addilm

Post by Addilm »

Ended up going for the duel shock, taken a bar across the back secured with U bolts and taken down to the welded brackets.

[ATTACH]12168[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12169[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12171[/ATTACH]

Also changed over the tank and siding from the other NTV, prefer the red and its in better nick. The last guy seems to have been a "Never four bolts when two will do" sort of person. Coolant lines filled with plain water, had to scrap the heated handlebars, slightly too large bolts forced into threads.. Still thankfully with two other bikes for spares, the only thing We've really had to buy repair wise is a master cylinder repair kit.

starting to come together well now though, just need to sort out a few bits now, the exhaust, mirrors, bit more TLC. Then just the joys of registering.

Few piccys of it with seat and siding on:

[ATTACH]12172[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12173[/ATTACH]