New petrol

The place to chill and chat about anything
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

New petrol

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

Any idea if this new petrol is going to be a pain in the arse? I wonder how much we are going to pay for the privilege.
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: New petrol

Post by Kawazuki »

Depends on the age of the engine / fuel system! Ethanol doesn't tend to play nicely with older plastics / rubber / brass components. Anything made in the last 10 - 15 years should be resistant but anything older can't be guaranteed. Gas station 'Super' unleaded should remain at 5% ethanol but costs more!
Ethanol can be removed from fuel with the use of water and separating after 24 hrs - the downside is that you will be throwing 10% of the fuel volume away ie. tipping money down the drain!
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Iv been running the super unleaded for a few years the pan runs better with it :thumbsup:
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mLbuUSt-0

phpBB [video]
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

That last one sounds like one of Top Cat's gang 😁😁
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

Check here - https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10 ... ce.gov.uk/
Around 95% of petrol-powered vehicles on the road are compatible with E10 petrol and this figure is increasing all the time. All new cars manufactured since 2011 are compatible with E10 petrol, and most cars and motorcycles manufactured since the late 1990s are also approved by manufacturers to use E10.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

Esso super duper supreme 99 has E5 on the pump but I am told it is actually ethanol free.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

I'll be draining my carb and tank over winter now with this E10 fuel. I'm fitting a switch to the electric pump on the trike to stop it around 50 mts from home when using it and leave the carb drained till I next use it.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Have to use Super grade on misty blue - v8 is an ex Rover Vitesse high compression motor - pinks like hell on normal grade
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Deep Diver wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:45 am I'll be draining my carb and tank over winter now with this E10 fuel. I'm fitting a switch to the electric pump on the trike to stop it around 50 mts from home when using it and leave the carb drained till I next use it.
A word of caution doing that - just because the engine stops after the fuel supply is stopped doesn't mean the float bowls are empty and half full bowls are worse than full ones! Moisture can get in via the bowl vents, contaminate the remaining fuel and lead to corrosion. Bikers that lay up bikes over the winter now tend to add stabiliser to a full tank of fuel, run engine for a minute to get the mix through the carb/s and then turn off the supply till next season. The full tank minimises any air gap in the tank for moisture to start rusting.