Help needed

This section is intended to provide a repository of member's location and skills.
It is not to be used to advertise a business.
Greyfox

Help needed

Post by Greyfox »

Hi i am new here and need a massive favour
I have a goldwing 1500 trike with a reliant rear axle that
Has lost all drive been told it might be the shafts I’m not
Able to do this kind of work anymore since having a stroke last year not looking for a feeble but help advise or someone who could have a look and maybe fix or recommend someone
I’m in canvey Island Essex but can transport trike to you

Thanks dave
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Help needed

Post by Kawazuki »

Can't help with a fix but a better diagnosis may help someone else?
Breaking both shafts at same time would be rare so should have limited drive unless the diff has broken.
With clutch in, can gears be selected and what happens if in gear and clutch let out - is the propshaft turning?
Any mechanical / broken type noises from anything? Sorry for your loss !
Greyfox

Post by Greyfox »

When gears selected prop turns and squealing noise from diff no drive at all when clutch let out thanks for the reply
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Give Last transmission at Newborne a call. There just outside Ipswich Suffolk

01473 736229
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi Dave, sorry to hear of your woes. Difficult to diagnose probs & noises without having the thing in front of you.
Can you take off the diff filler cap & stick your finger into the oil? If it's got lots of shiney bits in it or bigger bits of metal then the crown wheel might be giving up or the parts connected to it, or might be the prop bearing making the squealing noise. When you pull the clutch in, select a gear & then let the clutch out as if pulling away, what happens? If the prop turns & the trike doesn't move forward then i'd suspect diff internals or the clutch might be slipping badly under load. As has been suggested, unlikely for both shafts to have given up at the same time, try to start with the simple things first ie the clutch.
On another point, have you heard of the NABD? (National Association of Bikers with a Disability) Very nice people & have dealt with many trike related conversions & probs over the years. Might be worth a shout.
I'm in Clacton meself, yeah, don't laugh! If you're ever up this way, gimme a call, & don't be afraid to ask for help, we've all been there mate. Good luck, Bob. :thumbsup:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Mal

Post by Mal »

One half shaft broken or splines stripped will lose drive completely as the planet gears will just spin.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

yes mall this happened to me the weld on the shortened half shaft gave way only part that i did not weld my self so if the axle has been shortened then thats the first thing to look at as this is the weakest part of the axle
Greyfox

Post by Greyfox »

Ok so trike with local guy
The whole rear end has to come off !!!!!
He said it has been built so dangerously
Really bad welding
Literally nothing holding the axle in place
Bands around axle rusted through and bolts no good
Going to be off the road sometime
Not happy
!!!!!
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

pictures please, and good luck
Mal

Post by Mal »

One of our former admins bought a bike trike in similar condition years ago, it actually broke on him and he ended up through a hedge. Thankfully not too hurt.
The loss of drive may have saved you. Hope you can get it fixed up properly. :eek: