Brakes and handbrake.

This section is intended to provide a repository of member's location and skills.
It is not to be used to advertise a business.
Roy

Brakes and handbrake.

Post by Roy »

A bit of help or advice from the masses please. In process of ground up build. Disk conversion to reliant axle running fiat calipers. Now to my problem, I have a gurling master cylinder for the rear brakes from pedal and another gurling to the handbrake running both through a splitter to the calipers. The problem is when I apply pedal the fluid pushes into handbrake master cylinder and visa versa... what am I doing wrong? Help !!!
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Brakes and handbrake.

Post by Kawazuki »

To address the question, the usual way done with rally cars is to take the line from the main foot brake into the inlet of the handbrake master and it's outlet to the back calipers.
The big issue is that for a vehicle requiring an MOT, you can't have a hydraulic handbrake! The h.brake MUST be mechanically operated - read the MSVA manual.
Roy

Post by Roy »

I have read the MSVA manual. The only "mechanical" reference is quote: check that the secondary breaking system is able to be held in the on position by purely mechanical means. Which is a ratchet handbrake mechanism. MSVA doesn't state that the secondary breaking system can't be hydraulic.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Held in the on position is nothing to do with the lever, it's at the brake end where its held on.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Am I reading this right, both master cylinders are running through the same splitter? If so where's the secondary braking system?
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Aztec wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:23 am Am I reading this right, both master cylinders are running through the same splitter? If so where's the secondary braking system?
Which is essentially why the independent mechanically operated system is a requirement.